Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approaching 5 years on Zoladex at 44 yrs old

1 REPLY 1

Re: Approaching 5 years on Zoladex at 44 yrs old

Hi S

Thanks for posting.

The average age of the natural menopause is 51. At 44 you may be post-menopausal after all the treatment you have had or its possible your ovaries will start producing oestrogen again once you stop Zoladex as you say.

It’s difficult to say for sure as there are various options that your oncologist might consider. They may feel it’s best to continue on another five years of Zoladex with the exemestane. Or they suggest doing some blood tests to check your menopausal status although this would involve stopping treatment for a while. The blood tests are often repeated to get a more accurate result. Some doctors may suggest removing someone’s ovaries so they can continue on an aromatase inhibitor. And others may swap someone onto tamoxifen if the menopausal status is uncertain.

The length of time you are recommended to take hormone (endocrine) therapy, depends on the original pathology and risk of recurrence.  You may find it helpful to look at NICE guidance on extended adjuvant endocrine therapy. I wonder if you have an appointment with your consultant to discuss this. You may find it helpful to post on the younger women’s section of our Forums to find out others experience.

If you would like to talk this through, do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Approaching 5 years on Zoladex at 44 yrs old

Good evening,

After surgery/chemo/radiotherapy in 2014/2015 (40mm Grade II invasive ductal) I am on monthly Zoladex and daily Exemestane to surpress the oestrogen production. I remember my oncologist said it´s gonna be 5 or 10 years on this regime.

I am wondering how it is generally decided whether to continue to 10 years? At 44, I guess that I am not yet in my "natural" menopause time, so oestrogen production would probably start again if the hormone therapy ended??

Do you have any advice for me or information how the doctors deal with this situation currently?

Thank you...

Kind regards

S.