Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awaiting test results

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Awaiting test results

Hi Susiewong

Thanks for posting.

It’s understandable that you are feeling frustrated at not having the results of your lymph node biopsies back. Waiting for results can be a worrying a stressful time, especially if you have not been told when you are likely to get them.

It is not possible for us to comment on individual situations, or why you have been told you will now be getting the results from the lung team and not the breast team who you originally saw. However, it’s important for you to be given more information as to why this has happened and how it can be resolved.

Your treatment team are best placed to explain the possible reasons for this and although they may not be able to discuss your results on the telephone they may be able to answer some of your questions and address your concerns.  It may be helpful to contact your breast care nurse again to discuss how this has left you feeling.  You could also ask if you can speak directly with the breast surgeon who may be able to provide further information.

If you’re unable to resolve your concerns with the breast care nurse or treatment team, as Shi mentions you may want to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS).    You can find your nearest PALS office on the NHS website.

This is a confidential service for patients, their families and carers. They can help resolve concerns related to health matters, explain and handle complaints procedures and use feedback to help influence change. PALS work with staff, managers, and if relevant, external organisations to provide support and advice to people concerned about the care they are receiving.

Do also call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Louise

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: Awaiting test results

I’d contact the hospital pals team with everything so they can investigate so it won’t happen again, sorry to hear you are having this additional stress and anxiety. Hope the pals team sort for you, not really good enough you’ve been blamed for the mix up, they have duty of care to you as a patient surely. 💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

Awaiting test results

I am not a happy bunny. I had some lymph nodes biopsies 2 weeks ago at a London hospital. I was referred by my breast surgeon from another hospital. 

I was told by her and by the surgeon doing the procedure that results would go back to my breast surgeon in a week to 2 weeks. 

Due to a misunderstanding on my part, I thought the letter I received from appointments about a breast surgery tel appt for Thursday 4th June was to discuss my results. 

I spent the whole of yesterday in a spinning out high level of anxiety and got no call. 

I waited an hour past the time and called the bcn team and left a message to say I still was waiting. 

Eventually at 5pm, I got a call back saying that appt was for 2021. (I already have an appt for 2021)

Then I was told the lung team would be contacting me, not my breast surgeon. I asked if the results were back and was told maybe, but it's the lung team who will be in touch. 

What is going on?

Do these people not realise what you go through waiting for results?

What a farce. Now what do I do? I've waited 2 weeks in emotional turmoil. What are the results? I need to know. They are obviously back. Any advice on my next step?

Thank you