Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best cream/oil to use

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Best cream/oil to use

Hi Tricia

Thanks for posting.

It’s natural to wonder which moisturisers to use prior to having radiotherapy. We’re not able to make recommendations for particular products but information from the Society and College of Radiographers has a range of skin care advice including a section on moisturisers.

You may be advised to avoid certain products whilst having your treatment, as they can cause skin irritation. You could contact the radiotherapy treatment team to discuss this or ask about it at your radiotherapy planning appointment  As Becky says you could also check with your breast care nurse

The area being treated can be washed with warm water and patted gently with a towel.

We offer a range of free supportive services that you might be interested in. For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link, or call our free helpline.

Our services normally includes face to face support at a number of locations throughout the country. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve had to take the difficult decision to suspend all of our face-to-face services for now.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Addie

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Mitochic, my radiotherapy team advised Aveeno as it is oat based. It was super stuff and I still use it and all the related products three years on. I was told the skin absorbs it very easily, which it does, and it is non greasy, which it is. It does not contain any chemicals which may irritate the skin. During rads your team will keep a good eye on you and will provide any additional special creams you may need. Good luck with rads. You are almost there! Well done. X

Highlighted

I was told to only moisturise after each radiotherapy session, try to have the skin clean and dry before you go, otherwise creams and oils can interfere with the rads and may cause burning. Xx

Highlighted

Hi Tricia,  

I’ve been using Aveeno on my mastectomy scar. It’s probably one of the most gentle moisturisers. I work in pharmacy and I know that there is an ingredient in E45 that can cause a bit of stinging on irritated skin, and with Aqueous cream I believe it was found to cause thinning of the skin with regular use. We don’t see it much on prescription these days. 
A few ladies I follow on Instagram have recommended creams called MooGoo and Uddely Smooth, the latter Ive seen on prescription in an outpatient pharmacy so wonder if they supply it when you have radiotherapy? I’m not 100% sure. I think the MooGoo might need to be ordered online. I deffo recommend the Aveeno, I’ve used it when I’ve had really dry irritated hands and it’s sooooo soothing! I would check with your nurse as well for recommendations 😊 Hope that helps! 

Becky. X 

Highlighted

Hi Tricia

Thanks for posting your question.

We hope to be able to respond to you tomorrow.

In the meantime our Helpline is open from 9am tomorrow if you would like to talk things through. 

If you do phone our Helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered. Thank you

With best wishes.

Lisa

Ask Our Nurses Co-ordinator

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

Highlighted

Best cream/oil to use

Hi

I had a mastectomy 23/6 and physio has advised moisturising the area, i have aqueous cream and E45 however she advised when i get nearer to having radiotherapy it would be best not to use these creams, she didn't say why.  It got me thinking which is the best cream/oil to use?

Thanks

Tricia