Bio Oil

How soon is it safe to use bio oil on a mastectomy scar?  I am 7 weeks post op this week.

Hi Chrissy,

I didn’t have a mastectomy so the advice may be different. I had a wide local excision with therapeutic mammoplasty and sentinal lymph node biopsy, my surgeon told me to start using bio oil 17 days after surgery. Once I had sorted out a suitable tiny waterproof dressing for the tiny area of my scar which was not quite healed I started using it regularly just about 3 weeks after surgery and carried on using it until a couple of days before I started radiotherapy when I was advised to switch to something like Aveeno or E45 cream as bio oil isn’t recommended during radiotherapy. My scars healed well and stayed moisturised and quite supple when using bio oil. It is now almost 4 months since surgery and I have now had 12 radiotherapy session, 3 more to go, and so far my skin is still ok. I now use Aveeno and occasionally E45 cream 2 or 3 times a day but will go back to the bio oil when I am advised it is safe to do so after radiotherapy.

Hello Chrissy

Thank you for posting your question.

When to start using products on a mastectomy scar will be different for everyone, based on how your scars have healed. Once the skin has fully healed it is usually ok to start using creams. As @Neesie  found, this is often around 2-3 weeks after surgery. Your treatment team or breast care nurse will be able to let you know if your scar is healed enough to apply bio oil to.

You may find our information about post op scar care helpful.

We offer a range of free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer which you may be interested in.  They include face to face and online courses and events. For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes 

Cassie

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.