Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Braca gene

1 REPLY 1
Nurse_BCN

Re: Braca gene

Hello oppsadaisy  

Thank you for posting. It's understandable you would like to be considered for genetic testing having been diagnosed with breast cancer again.  

Some people who have Jewish ancestry are more likely to carry altered BRCA 1 and 2 genes which is why your nurse asked this.   

There are only a small number of people who will be at a greater risk of developing breast cancer because they have a significant family history.  

It's not possible to insist on being referred but it might help to know the criteria for referring someone to a family history clinic or genetics centre, which includes having cancer in both breasts (bilateral). Perhaps you can talk to your breast care nurse again or your surgeon. There is further information about this below. Click on the relevant country of the UK you are in.   

England or Wales: the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guidelines   

Scotland:  the Familial Breast Cancer Report   

Northern Ireland:  the Higher Risk Surveillance Programme  

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.    

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).   

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form. Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.   

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

You may also be interested in the range of other services we offer. 

Best wishes  

Jane   

Breast Cancer Now Nurse   

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy   

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread. 

oppsadaisy

Braca gene

Hi I had breast cancer 11 years ago and have now got cancer in the other breast. My cancer nurse first said they would test for the braca gene but as I have no family history she said they wouldn't,  she then asked if I had Jewish decent,  which I haven't. I wonder if you can tell me what has Jewish got to do with it. I feel I would like to be tested, it would be reassuring for the rest of my family, can I insist? 

Thanks