Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CBD oil & Tamoxifen

1 REPLY 1
Nurse_BCN

Re: CBD oil & Tamoxifen

Hi Emma

Thanks for posting.

We have many people asking about the benefits of CBD oil to alleviate anxiety. It’s not possible for us to say if taking CBD oil is safe to take with tamoxifen and we can’t comment on an individuals’ situation.

However, we have some information about CBD oil and it’s benefits.

Cannabis has been used for various reasons for thousands of years.

The use of cannabis has been studied in medicine including various cancer settings. There is some evidence that cannabis may help with symptoms such as weight loss, nausea and vomiting, pain, sleeplessness and anxiety. But more research is needed. It comes in other forms such as capsules and oral sprays.

Cannabis contains cannabinoids. Two of these are tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD).

THC is the chemical responsible for most of the psychoactive effects (those affecting the mind or behaviour) that occur with cannabis. Its use in the UK is illegal.

CBD does not contain THC so does not cause these effects and is not illegal. It’s thought that CBD may have some health benefits such as helping with anxiety and an overall sense of well-being - but without the harms. Again, there is not enough evidence to support this. However, you may see CBD for sale online or in health and well-being shops in various forms including oil, cream, and sprays.

Cancer Research UK has additional information about CBD oil and cancer.

It’s important to speak with your hospital team if you are considering herbal or vitamin supplements.

You could also contact your GP to discuss the option of talking therapies and other complementary therapies.

We offer a range of free supportive services that you might be interested in. For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link, or call our free Helpline

Our services normally include face to face support at a number of locations throughout the country. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve had to take the difficult decision to suspend all of our face-to-face services for now. The HelplineAsk Our Nurses, and  Someone Like Me services are all still running as usual.

Talking to someone who has had a similar experience can be helpful and our Someone Like Me service can arrange for one of our volunteers to talk to you by email or telephone. Our volunteers have had a personal experience of breast cancer and are trained to provide support.

You can ring the Someone Like Me team on 0345 077 1893, or email them someone.likeme@breastcancernow.org so they can then match you to your volunteer. 

Many people are surprised at how emotional they feel when their treatment finishes. Adapting to life after treatment can be difficult and often the need for information and support continues. You may be interested in our resources that are particularly for those who have come to the end of their main hospital treatment. These are known as our Moving forward services and include our Moving Forward Book

Outside the current coronavirus situation, our Moving Forward courses also provide information, support and professional guidance on how to cope with, and adjust to, life after breast cancer treatment. The courses are now being run as an online service.

.Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Addie

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

cushkin

CBD oil & Tamoxifen

Hi, I've been considering taking CBD oil to treat my anxiety problems as I don't want to go down the route of medication if I can help it.  I just wondered if it is safe to take with Tamoxifen and considering my history of HR2+ breat cancer?

I would appreciate any advice 

Emma