Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Called back after 1 year follow up mammogram following treatment

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Called back after 1 year follow up mammogram following treatment

Hello PatriciaMc

Thanks for your post.

When you have been treated for breast cancer, it’s understandable to worry if you are recalled after a follow-up mammogram. 

Some women may need to be called back after having their follow up mammogram and this may be due to different reasons. Sometimes radiographers need to look in more detail at anything that is not clear and need more information before they can give a result.

It can depend on which breast they need to look at again. Sometimes scar tissue can show up as a change on the breast that has been treated. Or it’s possible that a change may be due to a benign breast condition.

It can be difficult not knowing why you have been recalled and having to wait for further tests. It may help to contact your breast care nurse. Or you can also call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open. 

Best wishes

Teresa

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Thanks Jaybro. That’s reassured me a bit. I had some pain in late June and had an ultrasound which was clear.  So hopefully they are just being ultra cautious. 

Good luck on the 25th

Highlighted

Hi Patricia

I can imagine the anxiety. I have my follow up on the 25th. I thought it might be helpful (?) while you wait for a reply over the weekend to pass on what my breast cancer care nurse said to me last week - if I get a call-back, don’t panic. After a bc diagnosis, they are ultra-cautious and it usually turns out to be nothing to worry about. The call-back rate is higher, relative to routine mammograms, as they err on the side of caution.

That won’t stop your anxiety, I’m afraid, but your mind may stray to it occasionally while you are what-iffing and give you a brief respite. Good luck x

Highlighted

Called back after 1 year follow up mammogram following treatment

Hi

I was diagnosed a year ago with Stage 1 grade 2 Oestrogen receptive breast cancer in my right breast. I had lumpectomy and Sentinel node was clear.  I had 15 sessions of radiotherapy and have been on letrozole almost 1 year. I had some pain in June and had an ultrasound and was told noting sinister just inflammation from Radiotherapy. I had my I year follow up mammogram last week and received a call back in today’s post. I am very worried. Has anyone else had call backs following first follow up mammogram?