Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelled Mammogram

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Cancelled Mammogram

Hi Gaby

Thanks for posting here.

When plans for your follow up appointments alter from what was expected it can cause a lot of worry. As I’m sure you are aware, there is a lot of change happening to the ways of managing hospital appointments. This includes appointments for those who’ve had a cancer diagnosis during the COVID19 pandemic.

Often, both external and internal wounds can take around two years to settle down after surgery for breast cancer.  If you’ve had radiotherapy, altered sensation, and discomfort and swelling can also happen many months after treatment has finished. We hear from many women like yourself who describe similar timings of symptoms. 

As you’ve noticed a change in your breast it’s still important to get some advice though.  You might find it easier to contact your team via your surgeon or oncologist’s secretary. If this also proves difficult you could ask to book an appointment with your GP (this is likely to be via the phone) who may then be able to make contact with your team on your behalf. 

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through further or have any more questions. Your call will be confidential and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our current opening hours are Monday to Friday 10am - 3pm. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Catherine

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Hi Shi,

Thanks for your quick and encouraging reply. I've tried getting hold of my breast care nurses, but they're not picking up the phone. I will try the oncology team and the reception desk in the breast care unit, thanks for suggesting this. I'm sliding into complete panic right now and really just need someone to check things out. I'll also try the nurses here, though I don't suppose they will be able to give me any concrete advice, but even just talking to someone may help. 

Gx

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Gaby ❤️ Have you tried getting through to the breast unit or your oncology unit as an alternative to ask your questions? Definitely worth trying that route. They should at least get you in for examination. Tell them you were tn, tell them you are concerned and you’d really like to at least have examination if mammo not possible. Push for it Gaby ❤️ Hope this helps 💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

Cancelled Mammogram

Hi, 

I've just had a call from my hospital telling me that all routine mammograms have been cancelled for the next 3 months due to the Coronavirus. I had treatment for triple negative breast cancer in 2018-19 and this appointment would have been my first screening since treatment finished in June last year. Ordinarily I would have been fine with this delay, but for the past few days I've had discomfort around my scars (SNB, lumpectomy) and my lymph nodes seem generally a bit sensitive and swollen. I was hoping to ask about this during my screening appointment, but can't now. I also can't get hold of my breast care nurse. It's probably nothing serious, but I can feel panic setting in. Can you give me any advice on this?

Many thanks, 

Gaby