357747posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concerned about Pulmonary Embolism's from Lumpectomy and Sentinel Node Biopsy

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Concerned about Pulmonary Embolism's from Lumpectomy and Sentinel Node Biopsy

Hi TLC2019

Thanks for posting.

It’s perfectly understandable that you are concerned about having further blood clots such as pulmonary embolisms as a consequence of undergoing surgery for breast cancer.

Sharing this information with your team is important, so they can take all the necessary steps to reduce your risk of it happening again. This includes wearing compression stockings, giving you anticoagulant drugs to thin your blood like Lovenox, as well as getting you up and about as soon as possible after the surgery.

If you haven’t already had one, you’ll have a preoperative assessment appointment where you can discuss it in more detail.  Do also speak with the anaesthetist, who will be giving you your anaesthetic and taking care of you during the surgery, as well as the ward staff about your concerns.

In actual fact, people with a cancer diagnosis are at a slight increased risk of developing blood clots, so it’s important to continue to take care of yourself after surgery too.

As you’ve already pointed out, you are much healthier and fitter than you were eleven years ago before your gastric bypass, and this will help to reduce your risk. However, you can also help reduce your risk by staying well hydrated, making sure you stay active, taking regular short walks as soon as possible after surgery and gradually building up to and maintaining your normal level of physical activity. Whilst you are sitting you can also do simple leg and foot exercises.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Catherine

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Concerned about Pulmonary Embolism's from Lumpectomy and Sentinel Node Biopsy

Hi there,

Eleven years ago I had gastric bypass and about 11 days post op, had 1, 2 or 3 pulmonary embolisms.  I have never had another surgery since other than 2 breast biopsies.  I need to have surgery this month for IDC and am really nervous about getting another pulmonary embolism.  I spoke to my Dr. and she said she's glad I told her and that she is going to give me a shot of Lovenox before surgery.  She said she's not concerned about the bleeding.  She said I'll have compression stockings on too.

I'm so scared of dying on the table or after.  I have not had skin surgery or anything else because of this.  I am active and so much healthier than I was before I had the bypass.  I run and workout.  

Do you have any words of wisdom?  I'm scared of the cancer and even more afraid of the embolisms.  I told my sister and my husband to make me stand up right after when they see me, even if I don't want to.  I'm just petrified of this and don't want to worry about it.