Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corona virus

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Corona virus

Hi Ridgeway1954

Although it’s difficult for us to advise on individual cases, many people have been in contact wondering if a previous diagnosis of breast cancer means they are more at risk of getting the coronavirus (COVID-19). It’s understandable that you are wondering about your own situation.

As far as we know, the majority of people who have had breast cancer will not be at any higher risk and so can follow the advice given for the rest of the population. This includes those on hormone therapy or who have had radiotherapy to the breast and/or lymph nodes as part of their treatment.

Having lymph nodes removed does not affect the overall ability of the immune system to fight infection.   

Those who may be at higher risk include anyone with low immunity, such as people currently having chemotherapy or people who have had chemotherapy in the last three months. 

The latest COVID-19 guidance suggests to stay at home and only go outside for food, health reasons or essential work. 

We cannot say if your immune system has fully recovered but as you do not mention if you have any underlying other medical conditions, you may want to discuss this further with your GP.

Our webpage has more Advice on Coronavirus for people with cancer as well as some frequently asked questions from others who have had a diagnosis of breast cancer. 

The following advice from the NHS  will help protect you and others.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Currently our opening hours are Monday to Friday 10am to 3pm, and we are closed on Saturdays.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Eve

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Corona virus

hi 

I've had breat cancer and I was told at the time  that  my  immune  system  would never  be the  same. 

Would I be vulnerable  for corona  virus?