cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Covid 19 and estrogen

1 REPLY 1

Re: Covid 19 and estrogen

Hello saffronseed

Thanks for your questions about COVID 19 and hormone therapy. As you say there have been various references made to a possible link to COVID and female hormones. In the UK this has recently become part of the data that is being collected by the COVID symptom study group. They are trying to better understand how hormones such as oestrogen might influence COVID outcomes.

This understanding is in the very early stages and we would suggest that you continue taking the arimidex that your team has prescribed. You may also want to talk to your team about your concerns.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Please be aware that we will be closed on Monday 25 May due to the bank holiday.

Best wishes

Rachel

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Covid 19 and estrogen

I have looked at your info on bc and covid19 and you are staying that those on hormone treatment are not at any greater risk to contracting or having serious problems with the disease.  However there have been a lot of studies since worldwide particularly as to why men who are infected have a greater chance of serious complications or death and one thing they have identified is to give them hormone patches and/or HRT.  I am concerned as I am on arimidex and have been on it now for 7 years this is suppressing my estrogen levels to avoid a recurrence which is reassuring but now I am concerned about the risk of covid19.  I haven't got any covid19 symtons but worried that if I am affected I will be at greater risk of getting it seriously or even dying.  I am trying to weigh up the risk of recurrence against getting covid19.  Is there any updated information or guidance in this area to help me with my decision as to whether to stop taking my arimidex.   I haven't spoken to my oncologist about this yet as wanted to get breast cancer now's take or any more research you are aware of before I do.