Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Covid-19 | radiotherapy cardiac damage - understanding risk

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Covid-19 | radiotherapy cardiac damage - understanding risk

Hi Kate

Thanks for posting.

Many people are wondering if a diagnosis of breast cancer means they are more at risk of getting the coronavirus (COVID-19).

It’s not possible to comment on your individual situation, but as far as we know the majority of people who have had treatment for breast cancer in the past will not be at any higher risk than the rest of the population. 

Those who may be at higher risk include anyone with low immunity, such as people having chemotherapy or people who have had chemotherapy in the last three months.   

See our webpage for the answers to some common questions that women are asking about breast cancer and the coronavirus.

You may find it helpful to look at Asthma UK charity for further advice about your risk and coronavirus.

For more general advice see Advice on Coronavirus for people with cancer

The following advice from the NHS  will help protect you and others.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our current opening hours are Monday to Friday 10am - 3pm. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Louise

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Hi Lisa

Thanks so much for letting me know you hope to come back to me tomorrow.  I imagine there are others in the same or similar boat, so I'll hold on for the written reply, hoping that it's a fairly straightforward question.

Many thanks

Kate

Highlighted

Hi Kate

Thanks for posting your question.

We hope to be able to respond to you tomorrow.

In the meantime our Helpline is open from 10am tomorrow if you would like to talk things through. 

If you do phone our Helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered. Thank you

With best wishes.

Lisa

Ask Our Nurses Co-ordinator

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

Highlighted

Covid-19 | radiotherapy cardiac damage - understanding risk

Hi there

I'm trying to understand whether I'm in a higher risk group for Covid-19 and don't know how to find out, so hope you may be able to help.

• I had 56 grays of radiotherapy to my left breast over 28 days in 2002. I've understood that this is likely to have caused some cardiac damage as it pre-dated the breath-holding technique.
  • I also have mild asthma (since childhood) and use a preventative inhaler in August each year, when some obscure tree pollen triggers a bit of tightness. My asthma can be triggered by dust, but rarely.
  • And I'll be 56 years old in a couple of months. 

I've read that complications are associated with multiple underlying conditions, especially three or more, but would be grateful to know how to assess my risk so that I can take the best course of action.

Thanks so much

Kate