DCIS - Joint supplements

Hi

I have recently had DCIS (oestrogen + receptor) and had a mastectomy. 

Due to the DCIS I had to come off my HRT.
I am currently experiencing joint aches in my hips, hands and feet. 

someone suggested for me to try out Seven Seas joint care supplements. 

However before try these out I would like to know if these are ok to take for someone who’s is post DCIS and oestrogen + receptor??

thank you in advance

Hi Dawnado24 

Thank you for posting.  Coming off HRT can be difficult.  The cause of joint symptoms is not known for certain, but it is thought that a fall in oestrogen levels may cause this.  We hear from many women who experience joint symptoms such as pain and stiffness. Symptoms may affect the hands, arms, knees, feet, pelvic and hip bones, or back and often affect quality of life.  

Many people ask about vitamin and herb supplements. There is often the belief that vitamins and herbs are safe as they are considered natural.  However, herbal treatments don’t have to comply with the same regulations or rigorous testing that conventional medicines do.  

You can search this American website here for information about individual herbs and vitamins including glucosamine which seem to be the main component of the SevenSeas joint supplement.  It doesn’t appear that women with oestrogen receptor positive DCIS need to avoid glucosamine but there is much we do not know about supplements and herbal medicines. For many products there is a lack of research to support their use.  

For some people, regular pain relief and regular exercise such as walking or swimming can help to relieve pain and joint stiffness. Others find that complementary therapies such as acupuncture can help. 

We always suggest someone speaks to their treatment team, GP, or a pharmacist before taking any supplements.   

You may be interested in our various support services where you can connect with other women to see what has helped them.  Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK - prefix 18001). 

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form t** icking the box agreeing to a call back.**  

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday.   

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.   

Best wishes  

Rosey   

Breast Care Nurse   

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy   

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.