Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diet restrictions while taking ribociclib

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Diet restrictions while taking ribociclib

Hi Corrina

Thanks for posting

It’s natural to wonder why you have been advised to stop taking supplements and foods that are not mentioned in the manufacturer’s information for patients

It’s difficult to  say why your treatment team has given these specific instructions so it would be best to check this with your breast care nurse or oncologist.  You could also speak to a pharmacist and if necessary, ask for a referral to a dietician.  In giving these instructions, your treatment team may draw on their own experience in practice as well as the information from the manufacturers. They may be influenced by the possible side effects of a drug, for example any drug  such as ribociclib that might reduce the number of white blood cells, would increase the risk of getting infection.  Therefore any foods, such as under cooked or raw foods, that may increase the risk of infection are best avoided when a persons immune system is weakened. Also, certain vitamins, particularly high dose antioxidants (including vitamins A, C and E co-enzyme Q10 and selenium) may affect cancer treatments.

Targeted and chemotherapy drugs both interfere with the ability of cancer cells to grow but work in different ways to achieve this. Ribociclib is a targeted (biological) therapy. This group of drugs block the growth and spread of cancer. They target and interfere with processes in the cells that cause cancer to grow. Chemotherapy is a treatment that uses anti-cancer drugs to destroy cancer cells and works by interfering with the cancer cells’ ability to divide and grow. 

Fulvestrant is a type of hormone therapy and does not affect the immune system.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Eve

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Diet restrictions while taking ribociclib

Hi I'm hoping you can clarify a couple of things for me the nurse in oncology dept told me as I was Ribociclib  I should not take my vitamins d or vitamin B complex due to them being anti oxidants .also she told me not to take any probiotics  , have no runny eggs or live yogurt. I am aware I should not eat any grapefruit or pomegranate but as for all the other items Im not sure as was told from some one else that this was not the case and could have those things in my diet. I would be grateful if you can give me the correct information .I am also on Fulvestrant. But dont think that will make a difference. Also my oncologist referred to the Ribociclib as being a chemo drug however someone else has told me it isnt. Who is right?  Is it a chemo drugs or not? Thankyou for your help 😀x