Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dissmissive consultant

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Dissmissive consultant

Hi Deebee  

Thanks for posting.

It can be difficult when you feel your concerns are not being taken seriously, especially if it isn’t explained to you why further investigations aren’t considered necessary.

It seems unlikely that your oncologist wouldn’t order investigations if he had any concerns, but it does sound like you haven’t felt reassured following your appointment.

As Jaybro says, it might be worth discussing your experience with your breast care nurse or your GP and you may want to consider asking for a further assessment of the area you are worried about.

You might find it helpful to call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Anne

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Re: Dissmissive consultant

Hi Deebee

It’s easy to feel not listened to - I get this with my oncologist sometimes, like my longer-term side effects are my imagination - so I really feel for you. Do you have a breast care nurse? If you do, contact her or her team, no matter how long ago you worked with her. She may have some useful advice. Otherwise I’d go back to my GP and say I’m not happy with the consultation and what can they do? Bear in mind though that the consultants do know what they are feeling; unfortunately they don’t often consider what WE are feeling in a different way!

Perhaps ringing the nurses at the number above might give you some reassurance? Good luck x

Dissmissive consultant

Went back to see my consultant with new symptons in other breast.  He was very dismissive and said he would not do any further investigations until my annual mammogram in May.  He did a physical examination and could see and feel what I could.  Anyone any ideas on how to proceed.

Would he do a mammogram within a year if he was worried?