Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dissolvable stitches

1 REPLY 1
Nurse_BCN

Re: Dissolvable stitches

Hi Lisa

Thank you for your question.

It’s good to hear your wounds are healing well after your mammoplasty.

After your surgery dissolvable stitches will often take some time to dissolve. Most types should start to dissolve or fall out within a week or two, although it may be a few weeks before they disappear completely. Some may last for several months. It’s often worth leaving them to dissolve on their own especially as the wounds are clean. If they remain scratchy, you may want to contact your breast care nurse to see what they suggest.

We offer a range of free supportive services that you might be interested including the Someone Like Me service.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000  (Next Generation Text service, prefix 18001).

Please be aware our Helpline will be closed on Monday 30 August due to the bank holiday.

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form. Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Grete

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Lisa65

Dissolvable stitches

Hi, I had a bi lateral mammoplasty 4 weeks ago, all seems to be healing OK and I'm using Biooil twice daily now the wounds are dry. I've noticed doing this that there are two or three places where the stitches haven't quite dissolved and they are poking out about 3mm and are scratchy. Should I do anything or just wait for them to eventually dissolve?

Many thanks 

Lisa