Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dry Nostrils

5 REPLIES 5
Nurse_BCN

Re: Dry Nostrils

Hi Serenity52 

Thanks for your post asking about the best way to relieve the dry nostrils from the loss of nose hair, after having chemotherapy. 

Vaseline (petroleum jelly) in small amounts can help to relieve dry nostrils Or, as delly suggests a small amount of thin moisturiser may be better. However, we would suggest you speak to your GP, treatment team or a pharmacist to be certain you are using the most suitable product. They may be able to recommend a nasal spray or suggest what else may help. Also, a humidifier for the bedroom, or steam inhalation may be helpful. 

You don’t mention how long ago you had your chemotherapy, but nasal hair usually grows back over time, which should start to help the feeling of dry nostrils. 

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. 

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001). 

Please be aware our Helpline will be closed on Monday 30 August due to the bank holiday. 

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form. Ticking the box agreeing to a call back. 

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open. 

Best wishes

Teresa 

Breast Care Nurse 

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy 

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

delly

Hi again

I managed to dodge chemo with both my boobs 2006/07, but I really feel for you girls who do have to go through it. I used to read the chemo posts to better understand just how tough it is.

So forgive me making light of it, and also lowering the tone with my often somewhat "base" humour. If you're out, I'd go to the Ladies, or somewhere you can't be seen, to put some up your nostrils. You don't want people around who may be looking on, to think you're sat "picking your nose", hey!!! 😆

Urgh Delly, you're incorrigibly naughty! 🙄 Yep. Sorry folks, but I did warn you. 

Please keep kicking that BC BUTT girls. Lotsa love to you ALL xx❤️xx  

Serenity52

Many thanks Delly

I use Simple products but hadn't thought of this - I will certainly give it a go!

Take care

Blackcat182

Hiya, I suffered with this during chemo and used organic cold pressed coconut oil in my nostrils, intact I used it all over… it’s great for dry skin & scalp. 

delly

Hi Serenity52

I'm so sorry to hear you've had to go through chemo. I hope you're doing well. 

I have dry nostrils, but it's due to Sjogrens Syndrome, that also gives me dry mouth and extremely dry eyes.

You might find a thinner, more water based, lighter moisturising lotion better than Vaseline. It being a thick petroleum based jelly, it doesn't really "moisturise", just sits on top of the skin. It's soo thick and sticky, I wouldn't think there'd be any danger of inhaling it into your lungs.

I use Simple moisturising lotion, being unperfumed so none irritating, and pretty innocuous in other ingredients. I decant some into a small plastic bottle, the type you get in travel lotion bottle packs you can get at Boots etc., a handy, convenient size to carry in my handbag. I use it on my face too, having a sensitive skin to perfumes, so just put some up my nostrils at the same time. Well "after" my face that is 😃 

Wishing you speedy healing  xXx

Serenity52

Dry Nostrils

Hi

Having lost nose hair due to chemotherapy, I have started to develop very dry nostrils.  I have been using Vaseline but wondered if that is safe (inhaling into the lungs?) and if there is another treatment?  I have been looking at nasal sprays but would welcome some advice before buying.

Many thanks