Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emla Cream

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Emla Cream

Hello Nicola P

Thanks for posting.

Emla cream can be used to numb the pain of needles and cannulas but as Evie-S says, you can’t be sure where the cannula will be placed.

Do contact the chemotherapy unit and explain your concerns. They can talk things through and work out the best way to help make sure any pain or discomfort is kept to a minimum. Sometimes ports or central lines as Evie-S had are used so perhaps you could ask about this. 

You might also be interested in the range of services we offer. In particular Someone Like Me where we could match you with one of our volunteers who has had chemotherapy in the past and our online Forum. On the Forum we have chemotherapy monthly threads where women starting chemo at the same time can support each other as they go through the treatment.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Re: Emla Cream

Hi NicolaP - I’ll start by giving you a big hug and sending you strength and good wishes as you start chemo. I had a port fitted when I had chemo and I used Emla cream about an hour before I arrived for chemo and it was brilliant. So I can’t see why you couldn’t use it for chemo - except that you won’t know exactly where the needle will be inserted I guess 🤔. Definitely ask your nurse/oncologist.

Maybe someone else will come along who used it without a port.

Hugs, Evie xx

Highlighted

Emla Cream

Hi I am starting chemo on 16th June and and am terrified of needles and cannulas as they cause me such pain! Can I use Emla Cream to help with this during my chemo sessions please?