Exhausted 3 weeks post radiotherapy and getting worse

I would like some advice on what is normal for tiredness after radiotherapy. I am three weeks post radiotherapy and around 11 weeks post therapeutic mammoplasty and lymph node removal. I have gone back to work on phased return doing 4or so hours per day. I am exhausted!!! I thought this week would get better but I am ready for bed by around 4:30 and sooooo tired. I am struggling to get quality sleep and I am trying to exercise but I wanted a steer if this is normal??? I am feeling quite paranoid about asking the nurses at the hospital. I am 45 have busy family life but feel worse now than in any time since my initial op about tiredness and helplessness. Any steer would be helpful. 

Hi katpowell

I don’t know how many sessions you had but I had 5 in March and about three weeks post I felt the exhaustion just hit me! Take heart it won’t last forever! You will suddenly feel less fatigued and it will improve I promise. I was able to just give into mine as I am retired with family all grown up! But try and rest if and when you can it will pass. Mine took a few weeks but everyone is different 

xx

Hello 

I’m just over 4 weeks post RT. Also had 5 days RT.  The information I was given says that the side effects are worst 2-3 weeks post treatment. And most likely to peak at 3 weeks if you had the 5 day RT.

I have certainly started feeling better (more energy) in the last few days. I’m also retired so was able to just rest and take it easy. I was lucky enough not to get extreme fatigue (so far :crossed_fingers: ). Still got skin redness, tenderness, and lack of energy but not too extreme. Tight feeling so still healing. 

Hoping you fatigue starts  to reduce soon. But of course everyone is didn’t so there is no way to know.

Wishing you well and a relief from your symptoms soon. 

Hi Katpowell 

Thank you for posting   

Experiencing fatigue (the feeling of tiredness or exhaustion) after receiving treatment for breast cancer is very common. Many people find that they start to get their energy levels back as time passes after treatment, but for some fatigue can continue for months or sometimes years. As @sparkle0103 and @Janxxx have said fatigue post radiotherapy can start or get worse once treatment has finished.    

Other factors may also contribute to fatigue, such as: the emotional impact of a breast cancer diagnosis; altered sleep patterns; reduced activity and poor diet.     

There are things you can try to help manage fatigue as discussed in the previous links. You may want to keep a diary to record when you feel most tired. This can help you plan activities you enjoy in the times when you have more energy. Trying to stay physically active can help. Eating a healthy well balanced diet is also important. The following tips for better sleep may also be helpful.   

You have now returned to work on a phased return and whilst this can be a positive step the increased activity may be contributing to your tiredness. You don’t say what your job involves but it may help to talk to your Human Resources (HR) department or manager as your employer is required to make reasonable adjustments to help you manage your work during this time.   

You say you feel paranoid about asking the nurses at your hospital about your fatigue, but they will have experience of helping people deal with such symptoms and may be able to offer you advice.  It’s important they are aware of any side effects you are experiencing and how they are affecting your daily life. There are a few situations where fatigue may be due to other conditions such as anaemia, (too few red blood cells in the body) or thyroid problems so it’s important these are ruled out.    

We often hear from women that fatigue can have a real impact on their day-to-day life. It can be difficult to describe fatigue and other people may not always understand how you are feeling. They may assume that after treatment, you are back to normal and don’t understand the difference between tiredness and fatigue or be aware that it can continue after treatment has finished.   

You may be interested in the Macmillan booklet Coping with fatigue (tiredness).  

Many people are surprised at how they feel when their treatment finishes.  

For many people, it’s not always ‘back to normal’ when they finish hospital treatment for primary breast cancer. For some, it can mean leaving behind the routine and support they’ve become used to. Adapting to life after treatment can be difficult and often the need for information and support continues.  

You may be interested in our resources that are particularly for those who have come to the end of their main hospital treatment. These are known as our Moving Forward services and include our  Moving Forward booklet and Moving Forward courses.   

The courses are open to people who have had a primary breast cancer diagnosis and have finished their hospital-based treatment within the last two years.   

Through supportive, open conversations in a safe, confidential space, you’ll connect with people who understand. And you’ll find the tools you need to feel more empowered, confident and in control to begin to move forward with your life.  

You can attend Moving Forward either at our face-to-face course or take part by joining online. Find a course near you or register for an online course via the links above or call us on 03457 077 1893.   

Talking to someone who has had a similar experience can be helpful and our Someone Like Me service can match you with a trained volunteer who’s had a similar experience to you. They’ll be a phone call or email away to answer your questions, offer support or simply listen.  

You can ring the Someone Like Me team on 0114 263 6490 or email them at someone.likeme@breastcancernow.org, so they can then match you to your volunteer.    

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK - prefix 18001). 

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form t** icking the box agreeing to a call back.**  

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday.   

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.   

Best wishes  

Julie   

Breast Care Nurse   

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy    

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.