Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fatigue

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Fatigue

Hi Winnieburke1

Thanks for posting.  It sounds as though you’re having a difficult time with fatigue and worrying about your work situation is an additional stress for you.

Experiencing fatigue after receiving treatment for breast cancer is very common.  Many people find that they start to get their energy levels back as time passes after treatment, but for some fatigue can continue for months or sometimes years.

Other factors may also contribute to fatigue, such as: the emotional impact of a breast cancer diagnosis; altered sleep patterns; reduced activity and poor diet.

There are things you can try to help manage fatigue which are discussed in the previous links. You may want to keep a diary to record when you feel at your most tired.  This will help you to plan activities you enjoy in the times when you have more energy. Eating a healthy well balanced diet is also important. The following tips for better sleep may also be helpful.

If you have not done so already, do discuss how you are feeling with your treatment team or breast care nurse (if you have one). Or discuss this with your GP when you have your appointment in a few weeks.  It is important they are aware of any side effects you are experiencing and how it’s affecting your daily life. There are a few situations where fatigue may be due to other conditions such as anaemia or thyroid problems so it’s important these are ruled out.

We often hear from women that fatigue can have a real impact on their day to day life. It can be difficult to describe fatigue and other people may not always understand how you are feeling.  They may assume that after treatment, you are back to normal and don’t understand the difference between tiredness and fatigue or be aware that it can continue after treatment has finished.

It can sometimes help to share your experiences with others and our Someone Like Me service can put you in touch with someone who has been through a similar experience.

BECCA is our free app for people with breast cancer and provides strategies and tips to help you move forward after breast cancer treatment. This includes information about managing fatigue.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions.

The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Eve

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Re: Fatigue

Hi Winnie,

Maybe you could contact your Oncologist and run it by them to see what they think?  Maybe they could do some blood work or see you sooner.  

I hope your energy picks up soon.

Highlighted

Fatigue

Hi

I finished my treatments a year ago for triple negative. Im feeling my fatigue levels have got worse last few months. I dont know if its due to treatments, menopause or something else. Ive got an appointment in couple of weeks with GP but im not sure she can help at all. Been told before that I cant get HRT as Ive had previous BC. Feeling bit miserable and worried about work as had sick days x