66958members
353365posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final 5 year check up - medication query!

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Final 5 year check up - medication query!

Hi MysteryMouse

Thanks for posting.

It’s understandable to feel anxious and have lots of questions as you come to the end of your hospital-based follow up.

It’s not possible to say what treatment you will continue on with as this will be decided by your treatment team and is often based on your individual circumstances.  Factors may include; the features of your original breast cancer and menopausal status. 

Not everyone will continue taking anastrozole for ten years.  When you see your treatment team they will discuss your continuing treatment plan.  You may find it helpful to look at guidance about offering extended endocrine (hormone) treatment. 

You mention that you have been recently diagnosed with osteopenia, it may be helpful to mention this to your treatment team at your final appointment, if they are not already aware. They can then have this in mind when they discuss your continuing treatment plan.

Our mobile app Becca provides information, tips and inspiration to help you move forward. Many people find this particularly helpful once follow up has ended.  The easy-to-use cards give you bite-size information on everything from managing menopausal symptoms to strategies for coping with anxiety. Categories include diet, exercise, mindfulness and body image. You can also read personal stories from people like you who are adjusting to life beyond breast cancer treatment.

You can download Becca for free from Google Play and the App Store. If you don’t have a smartphone, you can use the online version.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Best wishes

Louise

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Final 5 year check up - medication query!

Hi

So am due my final 5 year hospital check soon.  Currently on Anastrazol and have been having Zolodex injections for 2 years as well.  Previously 2 years on Tamoxifen.  I'm now 52.

Are they likely to stop the Zolodex and just keep me on the Anastrazol for another 5 years? Also, if they stop the Zolodex would I normally expect to carry on taking the Ibandronic acid and Adcal D3? I've been diagnosed with having osteopenia so thinking that would be a good plan with staying on the Anastrazol?  Also I understand that Ibandronic Acid helps to reduce the risk of recurrence in the bones so would I stay on that for the duration i'm on Anastrazol? If I did stay on the Zolodex for a bit longer is that ok?

I always find I forget to ask questions until I'm out of the appointment and back home again as I think I get too nervous! 😮

Thanks very much!

MM