362936posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Follow up appointments

Highlighted

Follow up appointments

Hi, really need some advice , I was diagnosed last October,  had a lumpectomy in December and radiotherapy in March,  I was told I would have to have a mammogram every year for 5 years , I haven't had any appointments with any health care professionals since January,  just getting a bit worried as to when I will get to see someone,  sorry if I sound a bit naive,  thanks x

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Hi Kez68

Thank you for your post.

It is natural to worry about when appointments are due to happen after breast cancer treatment, so don’t feel naïve.

Once hospital-based treatment ends, you’ll be  monitored regularly, this is known as follow up. Different people are followed up in different ways, how you are followed up depends on your individual cancer and arrangements at your hospital.

As you don’t have any planned appointments with your treatment team and are not aware of when your mammogram is, as Jan suggests you could contact you breast care nurse. Your breast care nurse can talk through your individual follow up plan, including when your next mammogram will be. 

Adapting to life after treatment can be difficult and often the need for information and support continues. You may be interested in our resources that are particularly for those who have come to the end of their main hospital treatment. These are known as our Moving forward services and include our Moving Forward Book

We also offer a range of free supportive services that you might be interested in.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Helen

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Hi Kez

My follow-up mammograms are scheduled almost exactly 12 months after surgery, rather than diagnosis, so maybe that’s why you’ve heard nothing. Most hospitals are back to capacity in terms of mammograms (I have my second on Thursday) but my experience is that oncologists and other health professionals are carrying out phone consultations wherever possible, which personally I don’t find very helpful. However, in the circumstances, it is better than nothing (physio?? OT?? Diagnosis by phone!)

If you have any worries, your breast care nurse is always there for you so you can ring and ask them to call you back. The service continues indefinitely after treatment at most hospitals. Maybe this should be your starting point for some reassurance?

All the best, Jan x

Highlighted

Hi Kez

Maybe check when your hospital offers first mammograms....I've seen ladies on here post that their first one is 18 months post diagnosis...then annually. 

My hospital were running about 2 months behind due to covid.

Take care x

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Kez68 ❤️ No harm in giving your unit a call saying you’ve not had your mammo letter yet and it’s part of your aftercare ❤️ Better than waiting couple of months and then potentially find out they’ve a backlog, get yourself on their radar and just gently ring weekly if you don’t get your appointment letter ❤️💕💕Shi xx