Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grading

1 REPLY 1
Nurse_BCN

Re: Grading

Hi jules7777

Thank you for your post.

It’s understandable to worry and feel confused about the change in the grade of your cancer from your initial surgery to your most recent surgery. Sometimes the grade given to a cancer can’t be confirmed until after your final surgery. This is because after surgery is complete there’s more tissue for the pathologist to look at, which can give them more detailed information about the cancer. Your breast care nurse or treatment team would be best placed to talked through your pathology results in more detail.  

Our booklet understanding your pathology results has further information.

You mention in your post that you have been recommended radiotherapy due to your breast cancer being downgraded.  If you have had breast-conserving surgery (a wide local excision or lumpectomy) you will usually be offered radiotherapy to the remaining breast tissue on that side. The decision to recommend radiotherapy isn’t usually based on the grade of your cancer.

We offer a range of free supportive services that you might be interested in. For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form. Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Debbie

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

jules7777

Grading

Hi after my first surgery er+Pr+ I was told grade3  then I needed further surgery to remove more with that I was down graded to grade 2 needing radiotherapy is this normal, how can first surgery results be so different I’m really confused and worried x