77.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heavy first period - will it effect my chemo bloods?

1 REPLY 1
Nurse_BCN

Re: Heavy first period - will it effect my chemo bloods?

Hi emc1017

Thank you for posting your question.

It is understandable that you feel worried about the heavy period you are having. We cannot say for sure what has caused your period to be heavier than usual, Chemotherapy can affect your periods and it is possible that it could be related to the egg harvesting you have had.

Persistent heavy bleeding during periods can cause anaemia (low red blood cells), but a short heavy period is less likely to affect your blood count. However, if your blood count is low when you have the blood test your treatment team will let you know what to do.

If you have not done so already you may want to call your breast care nurse to discuss the symptoms you have. You may have been given a 24-hour contact number when you started your chemotherapy, for it you feel unwell. You can also call this number if the bleeding continues to be very heavy. They will be able to advise you further.

You may find the chemotherapy section of the forum helpful. There is a monthly chemotherapy thread where you can talk to people who have started their chemotherapy treatment at a similar time to you and may have had similar experiences.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Please see the helpline link above  and for opening hours over Christmas and the New Year.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Cassie

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

emc1017

Heavy first period - will it effect my chemo bloods?

Hi 

I am on day 18 of cycle one and have had my period for two days now and it’s a lot heavier than usual. My next chemo is on Friday - I am worried this will affect my bloods count pre chemo?

I did egg retrieval prior to starting chemo so I guess this could be a side effect of that too.