Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hysterectomy on Tamoxifen

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: Hysterectomy on Tamoxifen

Hi KH81

Thank you for posting.

It sounds as if you’ve been having a difficult time with pelvic pain due to problems with your ovaries and womb.

Now that your gynaecology team has advised you have a hysterectomy, it’s understandable you have lots of questions about what the surgery involves and also how it might impact on your breast cancer treatment.

A hysterectomy is a major operation. Depending on the type you have you can be in hospital for up to 5 days after surgery and it takes about 6 to 8 weeks to fully recover.  You are sensible to try and get as much information as possible so that you can make an informed choice as to whether this operation is the best option for you.

If the ovaries are removed as part of the operation many women will develop menopausal symptoms such as hot flushes and anxiety. As you say, you wouldn’t normally be recommended to take hormone replacement therapy if you have had breast cancer in the past.

It’s not possible to say what will happen with your tamoxifen as this depends on many factors, and will be up to your oncologist.  You may be changed to an AI but you might also be advised to stay on tamoxifen. If you haven’t already seen your breast treatment team it would be best to arrange an appointment with them to discuss your treatment plan.

It may also be helpful to ask for a follow up appointment with your gynaecology team to discuss your concerns, or talk to your GP.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Anne

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Hi KH81

Thanks for posting your question.

We hope to be able to respond to you tomorrow.

In the meantime our Helpline is open from 9am tomorrow if you would like to talk things through. 

If you do phone our Helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered. Thank you

With best wishes.

Lisa

Ask Our Nurses Co-ordinator

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer .

Highlighted
Community Champion

Highlighted

Thank you 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Yes - it doesn't quite fit - maybe hormone therapy and moving forward after breast cancer sections ? If you post there I can give you some feedback about my experiences .

Highlighted

Thank you. I didn’t know what ‘category’ to put it under? 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi ,if you want feedback from others who've been through this best post on the main part of the forum as well as this thread will be closed once the nurses have responded to you.Jill x

Highlighted

Hysterectomy on Tamoxifen

Hi, 

I am four years on from my Breast cancer diagnosis which was ER+ . I have been taking Tamoxifen for four years and still are. Recently I have been having a lot of issues with cysts on my ovaries and thickening of the lining of my womb. I have been in and out of hospital with pelvic pain and had numerous scans. Yesterday in hospital I was told there is no point scanning anymore as I have had these issues many times the only option is a full hysterectomy. It sounds like a plan and I know they wouldn’t do it lightly but I now have so many questions! I will obviously go straight into menopause but not be able to have HRT. I will come off Tamoxifen and go on to an AI? How bad is the surgery? How long is recovery? The doctors have briefly spoken to me about all of this but I feel like I need a whole day with them to make an informed choice! So I’m putting it out on the forum to try and see if I can get anyone else’s experiences on this, any advice or tips. I am 38 by the way. 
Thanks