Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invasive Lobular Breast ca- CT scan Whilst on period

1 REPLY 1

Re: Invasive Lobular Breast ca- CT scan Whilst on period

Hi Sunflower14

Thanks for posting.

CT scans are usually not recommended if there is any chance that you may be pregnant as there is a chance the x-rays could harm the baby. If your appointment is for a CT scan including the abdomen this will usually be done within 10 days of the start of your period; if it is not you may need to contact the department in advance. It’s really to ensure that you are not pregnant. You may want to contact the department directly to ask your question if you can have the scan when you are still bleeding.

Having investigations and waiting for results can be a worrying and stressful time and we fully appreciate you don’t want any further delays. If you haven’t already, you can contact your breast care nurse to talk through your concerns.

Invasive lobular breast cancer can sometimes be more difficult than other types of breast cancer to locate and measure using an ultrasound or mammogram, so it’s good to hear you have had a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan. It doesn’t expose the body to x-ray radiation. It can sometimes provide a more accurate picture of the size of this type of cancer, and whether it affects more than one area in the breast. However, it’s really important to have all the information to ensure you are offered the very best treatment for your cancer.

Here at Breast Cancer Care, we offer a variety of services to support you now, or in the future.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open. 

Best wishes

Grete

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread

Invasive Lobular Breast ca- CT scan Whilst on period

Hi about 4 weeks ago I was diagnosed with invasive lobular breast cancer. When we came back from my holiday I had an mri scan which showed that the ca was 6cm and not the 2.8cm they originally thought. 

Yesterday I had further biopsies and a marker inserted into the cancerous breast and I had a mammogram. I will be having a ct scan next week too. However my question is can I still have a ct scan if I have just started my period? The letter says to phone the department if still bleeding on the morning of the scan? I am feeling very stressed about it as don’t want anymore delays. The investigations have gone on for ever. I was referred by my Gp at the end of May. It’s now over 62 days and still no treatment