Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letrozole and Collagen Supplements

1 REPLY 1
Nurse_BCN

Re: Letrozole and Collagen Supplements

Hello Lizzie15

Thanks for posting.

Many people ask about supplements as they want to do as much as possible to be healthy. We are being asked more about collagen.

You can search the American website Medicine Plus for information about herbal products and supplements including collagen.

It’s not possible for us to say if it is safe to take collagen supplements. There is research looking at collagen levels and breast cancer, but it is not clear if this would mean that collagen supplements should be avoided. In addition, different supplements may contain other ingredients that could interact with letrozole and the way it works. Although you do mention finding a product that only contains the collagen protein.

There is often the belief that vitamins and supplements are safe as they are considered natural but supplements and herbal treatments don’t have to comply with the same regulations or rigorous testing that conventional medicines do. There is much we don’t know about supplements and herbal remedies. For many products there is a lack of research to support their use, and some can interfere with conventional medicines including cancer treatments.

We would always suggest speaking to your breast care nurse, treatment team, your GP, or a pharmacist before taking any supplements.

Our information about looking after your bones might be of interest and ways to help manage cholesterol levels can be found here

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form. Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Lizzie15

Letrozole and Collagen Supplements

I have been on Letrozole for just over 2 years and have been worried about the negative side effects to my bones and cholesterol levels.  I also suffer from painful joints and have been reading a lot about the benefits for joints, bones and cholesterol levels by taking a collagen supplement.

I've researched and understand that collagen is simply a protein supplement and have found a company which insures every batch is 'clean' and only contains the collagen protein. I'm really keen to try this as I have read such good reviews about the potential benefits.

Is this safe for me to take while on Letrozole?