Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lymphoedema and gardening?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Lymphoedema and gardening?

Hi NarniaGirl

Thanks for your post.     

While most people who have had lymph nodes under their arm removed don’t develop lymphoedema it can be confusing trying to work out how to reduce your risk.

Advice on this has changed a lot over recent years and studies have shown that exercise can lower the risk. You are more likely to increase your risk by overprotecting your arm and not using it enough.

If you have fully recovered from your treatment you should be able to get back to any activities you did before your surgery such as cutting the grass, although you may need to build up gradually. You don’t have to do the whole lawn in one go. If your arm aches and feels heavy, that would be a sign to slow down.

If you are gardening it is important to protect your skin against damage as any infection in your arm or hand can cause swelling, which may damage your lymphatic system leading to lymphoedema. It is also recommended that you keep your skin well moisturised to prevent it getting dry and cracked.

If you’re still stiff from surgery you should carry on with the arm and shoulder exercises you were given post-operatively.

There is evidence that being overweight can increase your risk of developing lymphoedema.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Please be aware that we will be closed on Saturday 23 March, Friday 29 March and Saturday 30 March due to an office move. This may cause a slight delay in our response times especially for forum posts received from Friday 29 March to Monday 1 April. Thank you for your patience during this period. 

We are currently reviewing our Forum service and wonder if you would have five to 10 minutes to complete a short survey. The survey will help us gather information about this service and understand more about any improvements we can make.

Best wishes

Anne

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Re: Lymphoedema and gardening?

Hi NarniaGirl

Thanks for posting your question.

We hope to be able to respond to you tomorrow.

In the meantime our Helpline is open until 4pm today if you would like to talk things through. 

If you do phone our Helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered. Thank you

With best wishes.

Megan

Ask Our Nurses 

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer .

Lymphoedema and gardening?

Hi, I've read your v helpful online advice about lymphoedema but I'm still unsure about what amounts to over-doing things and the risk of lymphoedema and wondering if you can help? I had sentinel nodes removed (one +), plus radiotherapy to all the remaining nodes after mastectomy. The thing is, I have no one to help with heavy jobs like mowing the grass etc and am wondering if I should go to the expense of hiring a gardener (I've always disliked mowing and found it hard work anyway, but help would be pricey)? Is the basic principle that you can do stuff you used to do, and try new things too, but if it starts to make your affected side ache, then stop? It's confusing me because, for example, when you take up something like jogging for the first time, you expect your muscles to ache a bit afterwards because you've pushed your limit a bit but that's how you get stronger. Is the lymphoedema ache a different sort of ache, like more widespread and general, a sort of heavy, tight, dull ache all the time, not just muscle ache when you move your muscles? I hope this kind of makes some sense to you. I guess I'm just trying to get used to what is my 'new normal' for me, and watching the grass start to grow!