Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No support/follow up advice

1 REPLY 1

Re: No support/follow up advice

Hello jojo1982

Thanks for your post.

It sounds like you are having a difficult time and it’s understandable that you’re looking for answers and support.

An FNA can be painful and the area may feel bruised and tender for some days afterwards. It is not clear why you have had an FNA but they are usually carried out to take a sample of cells to test and help to make a diagnosis. The purpose of an FNA is not usually to reduce the size of the lump or relieve breast pain unless the lump is a fluid filled cyst. If the lump is a cyst, the purpose of an FNA is to drain the fluid from the cyst and the fluid may be sent to a laboratory for testing.

Once the fluid has been drained, the cyst and any symptoms usually go away. The area where the needle was inserted is covered with a small plaster, which can be removed a few hours after or the following day. Dressings are usually only used following a biopsy.

Your treatment team should let you know if any follow up appointment is needed.  As your appointment was on Wednesday it may be that you will be contacted within the next 2 weeks.

You mention that you have taken two lots of antibiotics. If your breast symptoms are not caused by an infection, it is unlikely that antibiotics will improve them.  Antibiotics would not routinely be given following an FNA.

As you have not been given a follow up appointment and you are still experiencing pain, we suggest that you contact the hospital team or GP again to discuss your concerns. Your GP can also contact them on your behalf to arrange a follow up appointment.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open. 

Please be aware that we will be closed on Saturday 9 November for training purposes.

Best wishes

Teresa

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

No support/follow up advice

I had an US and fine needle aspiration on Weds for a large, painful lump in my left breast, nipple inversion, skin purpling.

Is there any reason why my FNA was incredibly painful? I have a really high pain threshold but it was so uncomfortable that I shed a tear!

The US consultant left the room promptly with my sample and I received no aftercare advice (dressing removal, meds running out...) or follow up info (appointments, further aspirations needed...) I was just sent home by the nurse. All pretty traumatic. I have had two lots of different antibiotics over 2 weeks but there is no change. The aspiration has also had no effect on the size of the lump or the pain I’m experiencing. My GP surgery says they can’t do anything as the uni hasn’t reached them yet!

I also thought the FNA would give me an immediate sense of relief? This is definitely not the case.

Any info or thoughts on this would be greatly received at this point as I feel like I’ve been sent on my merry way with zero answers or support. Thanks x