Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pain after lumpectomy and lymph node removal

1 REPLY 1
Nurse_BCN

Re: Pain after lumpectomy and lymph node removal

Hi Tealeaf

Thanks for your post here in the Ask Our Nurses section of the forum.

It’s common to have some pain or discomfort after surgery but everyone’s experience is different. Having an infection may have also affected the amount of pain you have been experiencing. Taking regular pain relief should help with this.  However, if you are concerned, we’d always suggest that you contact your breast care nurse or breast surgeon for further support and advice.You may find our booklet Your operation and recovery may be helpful to read.

At times like this, talking to someone who has had a similar experience can be helpful either by asking others here on the Discussion forum or through our Someone Like Me service. This service can arrange for one of our volunteers to talk to you by email or telephone. Our volunteers have had a personal experience of breast cancer and are trained to provide support.  

You can ring the Someone Like Me team on 0345 077 1893 or email them at someone.likeme@breastcancernow.org,so they can then match you to your volunteer.   

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.  

The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001). 

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form. Ticking the box agreeing to a call back. 

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Best wishes 

Catherine

Breast Care Nurse 

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy  

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread. 

Tealeaf

Pain after lumpectomy and lymph node removal

Hi all, 

I just had a lumpectomy and sentinel lymph node surgery on my right breast 7 days ago. Three days after the surgery I was taken to A&E as I had an infection in the tissue of that breast and commenced antibiotics. I still fell quite a lot of pain in that breast as well as a heaviness. Is this normal? Looking to hear how long the pain should last and would appreciate any feedback from you wonderful ladies.