Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pain

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Pain

Hi Kitsnugs

Thanks for posting.

Experiencing ongoing pain can get you down, especially if you don’t know what is causing it.

A LD (latissimus dorsi) flap reconstruction involves moving the latissimus dorsi muscle from the back just below the shoulder blade and bought round to the front to form the new breast.  Some women do notice weakness and ongoing pain in the shoulder during everyday activities as a longer term problem.

There may be a number of causes for the pain that you are experiencing between your shoulder blades which may or may not be connected to your previous breast cancer diagnosis or the surgery that you have had.  It’s reassuring to hear that your GP arranged for you to have an MRI as this may determine the reason for the symptoms you are experiencing.

If the results of your MRI are not able to say what is causing your pain, your GP could refer you back to your treatment team who performed your breast reconstruction to assess your symptoms. 

It may be helpful to look at this part of the forum, to see other people’s experiences of having LD flap reconstruction.

Talking to someone who has had a similar experience can be helpful and our Someone Like Me service can arrange for one of our volunteers to talk to you by email or telephone. Our volunteers have had a personal experience of breast cancer and are trained to provide support.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Best wishes

Louise

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Pain

A few years ago I had a double mastectomy and LD flap reconstructions. 

I have had quite a lot of pain in my back between my shoulder blades so my GP sent me for an MRI which I am waiting for the results from. 

I don't think its cancer as it the pain has bothered me for quite some time now. Some days it is worse than others. I find walking up and down stairs seems to set it off as does walking up and down any gradient.

Honestly can say it is getting me down.

Does anyone else on this forum suffer with back pain after having this type of surgery?