Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pain

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Pain

Hi charliep5

Thanks for posting asking about the pain in your ribs that you have noticed over the last couple of months.

Some people have ongoing (chronic) or persistent pain in their breast, arm or armpit for months or even years after they had surgery. Different sensations such as a burning feeling and numbness in the scar area and under the arm can also be experienced.

Radiotherapy can cause tenderness over the ribs during treatment.  In some people, this discomfort may continue but it usually improves gradually over time. As the pain in your ribs is new and has been ongoing over the last 2 months, it is important, if you haven’t already done so, to discuss this with your treatment team or your GP. Taking some regular pain relief in the meantime may also help.

Adapting to life after treatment can be difficult and often the need for information and support continues. You may be interested in our resources that are particularly for those who have come to the end of their main hospital treatment. These are known as our Moving forward services and include our Moving Forward Book

Outside the current coronavirus situation, our Moving Forward courses also provide information, support and professional guidance on how to cope with, and adjust to, life after breast cancer treatment.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve had to take the difficult decision to suspend all of our face-to-face services for now. 

However, a Moving Forward online course has been set up as an alternative while face to face services are suspended.  The course is open to people who have had a primary breast cancer diagnosis and have finished their hospital-based treatment within the last two years. 

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Louise

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: Pain

Michelle ❤️Ring your team and get everything checked out, always best to get everything checked for peace of mind ❤️💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

Pain

hi, im 10mths post lumpectomy and radiotherapy and over the months i have had different types of pain around my breast/scar and in my breast but over the last month or two my ribs under my affected breast have become sore and painful is this normal from treatment and surgery? Thankyou, Michelle x