cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paranoid about every lump and bump

1 REPLY 1

Re: Paranoid about every lump and bump

Hello Hannahlizzy

Thanks for posting. This sounds like a difficult time.

Nearly everyone who has been treated for cancer worries about it coming back or a new cancer developing so you’re not alone in being anxious about this. The uncertainty and fear of this is very real. As you become more familiar with how your reconstructed breasts look and feel (bearing in mind this can change as the area heals) you’ll hopefully find the anxiety lessens. Most people find that anxiety lessens as time goes on.

I understand you had a complete response to chemotherapy and your lymph nodes were clear. The chance of a new cancer developing in this time is very small. You say you are going to see a psychologist. Having a form of talking therapy can really help with the emotion you are experiencing.

Adapting to life after breast cancer can be difficult and often the need for information and support continues after treatment. Although you are still to have radiotherapy, you may be interested to know about our resources that are particularly helpful for those who have come to the end of their main hospital treatment. These are known as our Moving forward services and include our resources pack and Moving Forward course. Our BECCA app might also be helpful.

Our Someone Like Me service and some sections of the Forum might be of support to you now.

Also Dr Peter Harvey a Consultant Clinical Psychologist wrote about how people can feel after treatment has finished. Although the article is many years old and not specific to breast cancer the emotional issues discussed remain relevant.  You can read this through the following link

After the treatment has finished - Then what?

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Please be aware that we will be closed on Saturday 9 November for training purposes.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Paranoid about every lump and bump

I am just getting ‘over’ bc. I was diagnosed in February this year and I’ve undergone chemo, double mastectomy with implant recon and just about to start radiotherapy. I constantly feel my boobs- I have been referred to a psychologist as I am just not happy with life/ I fear every new lump and bump in both breasts. I had a complete response to chemo and my lymph nodes were clear. What are the chances of developing a new cancer in this space of

time? As I am so scared about my lumps and my boobs in general.