Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Mastectomy Preventative Treatment

1 REPLY 1
Nurse_BCN

Re: Post Mastectomy Preventative Treatment

Hello Smeag  

Thanks for posting. It can be difficult to understand what's been said especially when people are wearing masks as well.  

Treatment given after surgery for breast cancer is given to reduce the risk of the cancer coming back. The tablet you mention that’s taken for five years sounds like hormone therapy. If someone is eligible for hormone therapy, they would be offered this. The decision is usually whether someone needs to have chemotherapy in addition to hormone therapy. If they do, hormone therapy would be started once chemotherapy is completed. Sometimes a test called a genomic assay will be used to see if chemotherapy will be of benefit These are explained in the chemotherapy link above.  

It's understandable to dread chemotherapy especially as you say your wife will need caring for after her foot surgery. Side effects can occur although as much as possible is done to control these. It's difficult to say how someone will be affected as everyone reacts differently. 

You mention you are hard of hearing and feel embarrassed to ask and still not pick up what's been said. Your treatment team really would want you to understand what treatment you are having and why. I wonder if you could contact your breast care nurse and explain your hearing concerns. Perhaps they have an email you could use to ask further questions.  

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. You may want to use Relay UK 

Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.    

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Relay prefix 18001).   

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.   

We also have a service called Someone Like Me. You could be in touch with another man who has had breast cancer. Again, this can be via email if you prefer.  

Best wishes   

Jane  

Breast Cancer Now Nurse  

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy    

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.  

Smeag

Post Mastectomy Preventative Treatment

As a 68 year old male I have trawled the Forum but cannot find answers. I had a mastectomy three weeks ago after being diagnosed with stage 2 primary breast cancer. I was given the good news at the breast clinic that the cancer had not spread as the lymph mode sentinel tests were clear. I am being referred to Oncology to go in just over two weeks time for 'preventative' treatment that will either be a tablet a day for five years or chemotherapy. The latter option fills me with dread as those that have had it are very ill. Can you tell me why this is offered and possible side effects, especially as my wife has surgery on her foot in a months time that means I will need to be her carer. I suffer with poor hearing (awaiting ENT appt as hearing aids wax up ears) and find it hard to understand the brilliant NHS staff with their range of accents, so feel embarassed to ask then still not pick up on what is being told me.