Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Post chemo foods

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Post chemo foods

Hello murphsmum

Thanks for posting.

Some people are advised to avoid certain foods during chemotherapy and generally this is because of the risk of infection. Providing your white blood count has recovered then you can probably return to eating the foods you like but do check this with your chemo team or breast care nurse.

There are not usually any food restrictions during radiotherapy treatment for breast cancer . Many people do consider lifestyle changes after breast cancer and diet is something that is discussed a lot. For interest there is no evidence that dairy foods or a non-organic diet affect how hormone therapies work or the risk of recurrence. A healthy well balanced diet is whatโ€™s recommended.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions.

The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: Post chemo foods

Hi Murphsmum, your BC and rads team should have given you a better explanation re food tolerances, but as they havenโ€™t Iโ€™ll pass on what I was told and that will get you a bit more sorted. Chemo affects the gut and stomach, so anything unpasteurised could be potentially harmful as all your good gut bacteria is killed off. So pate, Actinel, Icecream are not good, nor will they be ever, I suspect. My stomach certainly canโ€™t deal with them any more and Iโ€™m three years down the line. In addition I am ER+, so am on a hormone inhibitor and I avoid anything dairy to give my meds a better fighting chance. I also have moved to a more plant based and organic diet to avoid absorbing any hormones which may be in foods and which I think could inhibit my meds working to their maximum. Rads affects the skin more than the gut, but the effects do last for a couple of years, so you will need to get sorted with max strength sunscreen, hats, cover ups etc. Keep very well hydrated and moisturised. My team advocated Aveeno as it is oatmeal based, so not oily . I changed to all their products and ditched most of mine which had sulphites, phosphates and other nastys in. My skin was extremely sensitised with the rads and I even ended up stockpiling cotton undies as lace was really scratchy and itchy for a while.

wasnโ€™t as depressing as it sounds, now Iโ€™ve written it down! Just put your head down and motor on, youโ€™ll get there and when you get to ring the bell make sure we can hear it here! Good luck. ๐Ÿ€

Highlighted

Post chemo foods

Hi

I have recently completed my 6 rounds of chemo ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Š and was wondering when I could start eating foods I was advised not to eat while having chemo, i.e Actimel, Whippy ice cream, pate etc. I have a mastectomy and radiotherapy to get through yet, are there food restrictions during radiotherapy?