Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post chemotherapy

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Post chemotherapy

Hi mini mad

Thanks for posting here.

Many people are wondering if a diagnosis of breast cancer means they are more at risk of getting the coronavirus (COVID-19).

As far as we know, the majority of people who have had breast cancer will not be at any higher risk and so can follow the advice given for the rest of the population. As jaybro says, this also includes those who have had radiotherapy to the breast and/or lymph nodes as part of their treatment.

Those who may be at higher risk include anyone with low immunity, such as people currently having chemotherapy or people who have had chemotherapy in the last three months. 

Our webpage has more Advice on Coronavirus for people with cancer as well as some frequently asked questions from others who have had a diagnosis of breast cancer. 

The following advice from the NHS  will help protect you and others.

If you are concerned, contact your treatment team or the coronavirus service.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Currently our opening hours are Monday to Friday 10am to 3pm, and we are closed on Saturdays.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Catherine

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

I finished chemo this time last year, thank heavens. I was told my immunity would be ‘good enough’ within four weeks and back to normal within 3-4 months. Radiotherapy doesn’t affects immunity so it looks like you’re as safe as anyone now. It’s a bit frustrating to not quite meet the 70 age limit for additional protection/support isn’t it? However, GPs have identified their vulnerable patients for the NHS and, if you’ve been suffering since your hospital treatment finished, you may well qualify. If you don’t hear from the NHS within a couple of days, it might be worth checking it out with your GP if you’re still concerned. Good luck and stay safe xx

Highlighted

Hi i finished chemo last July and radiotherapy September i think we are OK as our immune system should have recovered but every individual is obviously different 

Highlighted

Post chemotherapy

I had my final chemotherapy for triple negative breast cancer last august 2019.

am i in the " at risk " group re coronavirus ?? I will be 70 in september.

many thanks.  Mini mad xx 💖💖