Post radiotherapy problems

Hi, I finished my radiotherapy last August 2022. My problems seem to have gotten worse by the month. I have had a boiling hot breast, extremely itchy breast and chest, yeast infection under the breast these have subsided somewhat. Now I have a warmer than the other one breast; thick leathery skin; the nipple and aureole area are hard and swollen; pains all over the breast ranging from bruised feeling to sharp stabbing pains; itching in areas.

I feel like I am moaning but would just like to ask if these symptoms are normal after 5 months?

thank you in advance 

Judy

Good morning Judy

So sorry to hear about what’s happening to you after radiotherapy, we all can have a few problems, feeling uncomfortable and being red etc. however I think you need to contact your GP or breast cancer nurse today this could be an infection and needs treatment. 

Please don’t hesitate to get some advise, fingers cross for a good outcome, wishing you well.

big hugs Tili :rainbow: :rainbow:

Hi, I’m 2 years post radiotherapy and unfortunately I can say the same the problems  keep coming month after month, I have so much pain and constantly feel bruised! I get a dull aching pain and then stabbing pains, some days I feel like my breast could explode as it feels that swollen. I’m also experiencing a lot of pain in my ribs too, I feel like I get cramp in my ribs and then sharp pains. I’ve spoken to my consultant and GP several times regarding this and I just get told that some people do experience long term problems, which doesn’t help the way I feel or help with insecurity’s around a reoccurrence. You need to speak to your team and always let them know if you experience new pain, I have been prescribed different pain relief but none seems to agree with me, but it might be worth you trying. Good luck, I hope it settles down soon for you x

Hello Judy

Thank you for posting asking about your ongoing symptoms, don’t feel that you are moaning. It sounds like you have had a difficult five months.

Although it’s not possible to say what may be causing your breast to feel, hot, itchy and swollen Radiotherapy can cause skin reactions and swelling during and after treatment. For most people these will settle in the weeks and months after treatment.  However, for some, side effects can develop months or years after radiotherapy ends. 

It’s not clear if you have been seen by your treatment team and been given any medication to treat the yeast infection under your breast. As your symptoms are not improving and appear to be getting worse, it’s important to get them checked, do contact your breast care nurse, treatment team or GP so they can assess your symptoms and offer advice.

Adapting to life after treatment can be difficult and often the need for information and support continues. Coping with ongoing symptoms can make it difficult to readjust to everyday life again. 

You may be interested in our resources that are particularly for those who have come to the end of their main hospital treatment. These are known as our Moving Forward services and include our Moving Forward booklet and Moving Forward courses.

The courses are open to people who have had a primary breast cancer diagnosis and have finished their hospital-based treatment within the last two years.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form t** icking the box agreeing to a call back.**

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Stephanie

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.