Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puzzled

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Puzzled

Hi Chris631

Thanks for posting here.

It’s not unusual for scans to identify areas which do not have an obvious cause and therefore are treated as being slightly suspicious. This can obviously cause a lot of concern and so it’s only natural you are feeling anxious.

Lymph nodes can look different on scans for many reasons.  The aim of the treatment you have been offered following your mastectomy is to reduce the chance of the breast cancer coming back, and treat any breast cancer cells that may still be in the body.  As both chemotherapy and hormone therapy are ‘systemic’ treatments (treat the whole body) this will include any cells within the lymph node you mentioned if they are present.

It’s possible that radiotherapy may be given to lymph nodes in the chest affected by breast cancer when necessary.  However, we can’t say for certain whether this will be so in your individual case, your oncologist is the best person to answer this for you.

As there is a slight suspicion over the lymph node and you are going to be receiving treatment, it’s likely that your oncologist will arrange a scan following treatment to check the area once again for any change which may help indicate whether the lymph node is connected to your diagnosis or not.

It sounds as though you might find it helpful to talk through your concerns and queries with one of our Helpline team.

Do call the free, confidential Helpline if you would like to do this, or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open. 

Please be aware that we will be closed on Saturday 9 November for training purposes.

Best wishes

Catherine

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Re: Puzzled

Hi Christine 

Thanks for posting your question.

We hope to be able to respond to you tomorrow.

In the meantime our Helpline is open until 4pm today if you would like to talk things through. 

If you do phone our Helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered. Thank you

With best wishes.

Lisa

Ask Our Nurses Co-ordinator

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer .

Puzzled

Hello I was wondering if you could possibly put my mind at rest please. I have had a mastectomy due to having lobual breast cancer, tumour size 7cm. Node clerance as it was in 1 &1/2 nodes. My consultant transferred me over to the oncologist who sent me for a Ct scan. I have been today for the results and she has said that it was fine, it brought up existing medical things I have like cysts in my other breast, Wear and tear on my back etc but she said that one of the lymph nodes in my chest was slightly suspicious as it showed a pin prick size of 1mm. She did not say it was cancer but my husband said if it was would the chemo, radiotherapy and hormone therapy get rid of it. She said it would either get rid of it or contain it. My anxiety levels have went up ten fold again as I keep thinking what if the treatment does not get rid of it or contain it, if it is cancer will it spread.one f my questions is will thy also target that area with the radiotherapy as well.  I just st keep thinking can I get any worse. Will they scan me again after treatment to see if it is still there 

thanks 

Christine