Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiotherpay Planning CT Scan

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Radiotherpay Planning CT Scan

Hi Helly

Thank you for your post.

You may find it helpful to read our information on having radiotherapy planning and treatment here.

Although the CT scanner will be taking x-ray images to help your team plan your treatment, you will not need to have contrast dye and therefore, there should be no need for a cannula.

We have a number of services and support designed specifically for younger women. This includes a two day free residential event called Younger Women Together.

You can find out more from the above link or by calling our Helpline on 0808 800 6000.  Alternatively you can contact our team who co-ordinates these events on 0345 077 1893. You can also register your interest for a specific event online.  

If you would like to talk with another young woman diagnosed with breast cancer who understands, you can use our Someone Like Me service.

The Younger Breast Cancer Network (YBCN) is a private Facebook group run by young women for young women (under 45) who’ve had breast cancer. You can join if you have a Facebook profile.

How do you join?

Go to the public Facebook page by searching ‘Younger Breast Cancer Network’.

Message them via the private message button.

One of the admin will have a chat to say hello and check eligibility. They will send a friend request via their admin account (Edna Manchester).

Once the friend request is accepted the member can be added to the groups and introduced. There

is always a warm welcome from other members.

Do feel free to call the helpline on the above telephone number if you would like to talk through any of this or have any further questions.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open. 

Please be aware that we will be closed on Saturday 9 November for training purposes.

Best wishes

Heidi

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Sounds like a good plan! I found a few new eateries en route 😋 

Thanks for replying Kaggy, that has really put  my mind at rest.

I also have a 120 mile round trip for radiotherapy in Rhyl, not yet sure how I will be but hubby is planning on taking the time off work to take me daily, if I'm up to it we planning to behave like tourists after each session and visit places locally to make the most of the long journeys.

Apologies Crochet-Helly I have just seen an earlier post where you say your last chemo is still to come. Hope it passes as easily as possible and then the ‘well done on finishing phrase’ will apply!

xx

Hi Crochet-Helly

well done in finishing the chemo, in the step by step approach to treatment that’s another one under your belt!

I found the ct planning appointment so quick and easy and didn’t come across anyone who had it done any different at the hospital I attend. No needles 👍. There were a few basic questions and I lay down on a table with support under my knees, my butt resting on a ledge and my arms above my head. There was no tunnel to go into like the MRI and the nurses accommodated the position I was able to tolerate due to tightness in my armpit. There was a lot of drawing with (fairly) easy to remove pen and then 4 pin pricks where the tattoo markers go. For me - under the armpit either side and 2 more between my boobs - not painful. The nurses chatted all the way through and I was relaxed.

They also do an X-ray which was checked every time radiotherapy was subsequently given to check you are in the right position.

The radiotherapy itself was ok - I did 120 mile round trip every day and I think that was more tiring than the rads! Work on your exercises is my advice to keep your arm pit as mobile as possible throughout as the rads do tighten it up rather. But again the radiotherapy nurses were very patient and full of advice if I had any questions.

It does get like Groundhog Day after a week or so but once it’s done it’s a good feeling ☺️

Oh and keep the skin moisturised!! - I used QV cream given to me by hospital .

All the best with the radiotherapy - big hug to you xx

Highlighted

Radiotherpay Planning CT Scan

Hello

I have Radiotherapy Planning in a couple of weeks time, just trying to prepare myself mentally for knowing what the expect.

I have never had a CT scan before and am wondering if this involves a dye and therefore a cannula?

I am 39, have had a lumpectomy for primary, grade 3 invasive breast cancer and EC-T chemo (final T next week), will be having 15 +5 radiotherapy sessions? 

I was hoping not to have any more needles for a while once the final chemo was done, although I am aware that there will be tattoo marking involved at the plannning session.

Thanks

Helly