Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing implants

2 REPLIES 2
Nurse_BCN

Re: Replacing implants

Hello mcleanjax

Thanks for posting.

Revision surgery following a reconstruction for breast cancer may be possible on the NHS if the original surgery was on the NHS. As its not cancer surgery there is often a long wait for this type of surgery, and someone may not be referred until the pandemic is no longer impacting on health services.

As Delly says you could initially start by speaking to your GP. They may refer you back to your original surgeon if they are still practising.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000  (Next Generation Text service, prefix 18001).

Please be aware our Helpline will be closed on Monday 30 August due to the bank holiday.

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form. Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Jane 

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

delly

Re: Replacing implants

Hi mcleanjax

That's so brill to hear of your 12 yrs history without complications and your having been so happy with results. You mean a Lat flap (piece of the Latissimus Dorsi back muscle).

I would have thought, with it all your surgery having been BC related, it would be well worth you pursuing it through the NHS route (guess your GP first). Perhaps you could even be re-referred to your original surgeon, if he's still practicing?? It may just be a case of a bit of "tweeking" or "lift" to your own tissues, as opposed to having to involve replacing or removing your own breast side implant. 

I soo hope you can have something done through the NHS. I'm really interested to hear how you go on. Good luck with it.

Delly xXx

mcleanjax

Replacing implants

Hi, I had DCIS in 2009. I had a mastectomy with a flap from my back. Sorry it's been a long time so I can't remember the proper medical term. The surgeon recommended I had an implant on the other side too as this would give me the most even outcome by making both my breasts bigger.  The result was fantastic and I've been very happy for many years. My question is that now my own breast that had the implant is sagging lower than the totally false one that's still relatively pert, can I get some sort of revision on the NHS? I am extremely lucky and grateful for the 12 years I've had without any complications. If there's nothing to be done I'll accept it but just need to put to rest this niggling thought.