Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returning to Work

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Returning to Work

Hi Calley65

Thanks for your post.

Many people are wondering if a diagnosis of breast cancer means they are more at risk of getting the coronavirus (COVID-19). It’s particularly understandable if you’re going to be caring for those with coronavirus.

As far as we know, the majority of people who have had breast cancer will not be at any higher risk and so can follow the advice given for the rest of the population. This includes those on hormone therapy or who have had radiotherapy to the breast and/or lymph nodes as part of their treatment. It would, therefore, suggest that you’re at low risk for the condition.

Those who may be at higher risk include anyone with low immunity, such as people currently having chemotherapy or people who have had chemotherapy in the last three months.

Our webpage has more Advice on Coronavirus for people with cancer as well as some frequently asked questions from others who have had a diagnosis of breast cancer. 

As you are to be returning to work in the environment you have described, it would be a good idea to talk with your treatment team about your individual situation. You can also contact the coronavirus service.

The following advice from the NHS  will help protect you and others.

The information below is general advice for those with all types of cancer. 

At Breast Cancer Now, we offer a variety of services to support you. We are currently suspending our face to face services, but our Someone Like Me (SLM) team may be able to put you in contact with one of our volunteers who understands what you’re going through.

You’re welcome to call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Currently our opening hours are Monday to Friday 10am to 3pm, and we are closed on Saturdays.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Addie

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Returning to Work

I finished chemo mid November and radiotherapy on Xmas Eve.  Due to return to work on 30th March.  Happy to do so but I am Operating Department Practitioner working as an Anaesthetic Assistant and going back in at the deep end dealing with Coronavirus patients potentially.  If anyone needs intubated, we have to attend and assist the Anaesthetist.  Just want clarification that I am not putting myself at more risk than anyone else.  I know there will be a major risk but that is the nature of my job.  Just don’t want added risk due to the cancer treatment.  Help!