Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solodex and Estemestane

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Solodex and Estemestane

Hi Clair

Thanks for posting.

It’s understandable to feel overwhelmed when you are given options over your treatment.

It sounds like you had an invasive breast cancer which is hormone receptor positive (ER/PR+ve) and HER2 positive.

Hormone (endocrine) therapy such as tamoxifen and exemestane are given to reduce the risk of the breast cancer returning. Tamoxifen is recommended for pre-menopausal women who have hormone receptor positive breast cancer.  NICE guidance suggests offering ovarian suppression such as goserelin (Zoladex) in addition to endocrine therapy (exemestane) for pre-menopausal women with hormone positive breast cancer.

It’s not uncommon for you to be given different treatment options and this may be based on many factors. Some people find this straightforward, while for others it can be a difficult and worrying time.  It is important for you to understand why you’re being asked to decide and to have the opportunity to ask questions about which is the most appropriate option for you and your breast cancer.  It may be helpful to discuss your concerns about side effects with your breast care nurse and ask for a further appointment with your oncologist.

At Breast Cancer Care we have a number of services and support designed specifically for younger women. This includes a two day free residential event called Younger Women Together.

If you would like to talk with another young woman diagnosed with breast cancer who may have been through a similar experience, you can use our Someone Like Me service.

Alternatively, you can call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Best wishes

Louise

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Re: Solodex and Estemestane

Hi Clair

Thanks for posting your question.

We hope to be able to respond to you on Monday.

In the meantime our Helpline is open until 4pm today, and we are open between 9am and 1pm tomorrow (Saturday) if you would like to talk things through. 

If you do phone our Helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered. Thank you

With best wishes.

Lisa

Ask Our Nurses Co-ordinator

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer .

Highlighted

Solodex and Estemestane

Hello, 

i was diagnosed with her positive, triple positive breast cancer, invasive, DCIS...I’m not sure exactly how to word my diagnosis ha ha! 

I have completed chemotherapy and surgery and Im waiting to start radiotherapy.

my oncologist put forward 2 options for me,

1- Tamoxifen- to be taken for 10yrs.

2- Solodex+ estemestane (iv probably spelled these wrong) for 5yrs- I am pre-menopausal and 33yrs old...

I said no to the number 2 option as I suffer with anxiety already and always have negative thoughts which my GP and all my medical team know about, so after hearing the side effects e.g depression, anxiety, osteoporosis etc I refused it and have started on tamoxifen today.

my oncologist called me today, which she never does and has asked me to seriously consider my number 2 option,

can someone please shed some advice or experience on these hormone therapy options I have please as my head is like spaghetti junction at the moment and I’m just thinking of all the negative outcomes of everything as it is.

thankyou in advance 

clair