Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping zolodex

3 REPLIES 3
Nurse_BCN

Re: Stopping zolodex

Dear Vicky

Thanks for posting. It's understandable you are feeling confused.

Its best that your surgeon and oncologist discuss this and agree a way forward for you. You could ask your breast care nurse if this has been discussed at the multidisciplinary team meeting. Your team can let you know which is the safest option.

The blood tests are probably to assess your menopausal status. If these blood tests show you are post-menopausal your periods should not restart but do report any bleeding if it does occur.

There are different reasons why someone may be prescribed Zoladex and these are explained in the link. Zoladex usually stops the ovaries from working for the length of the treatment. The younger someone is when they stop it, the more likely it is their periods will return. Women who are of menopausal age or approaching menopausal age are less likely to have periods return.

Sertraline is an anti-depressant and prescribed for other reasons. Again, do check with your team if you have any uncertainties about your treatment combination

You may be interested in the range of free services we offer.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000  (Next Generation Text service, prefix 18001).

Please be aware our Helpline will be closed on Monday 30 August due to the bank holiday.

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form. Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Alvilajo

Thanks for your message Michele  how strange they didn’t let you have a blood test, your right it is so confusing, I was having regular periods before this at 49 🤷‍♀️
xx

Optimisticmz

Hi Vicky I am sure that the nurses will reply tomorrow.

Great to hear that you are two years clear and this is an interesting subject. I was diagnosed in 2017 and was perimenopausal. I was put on Tamoxifen and monthly zoladex for three years. After my surgical review (telephone appt) in October 2020 I was told I could stop the zoladex injections. I asked both the surgeon and my GP if I could be tested to see if I have gone through the menopause (I was 54 at the time but my sister was still having periods at this age) but they said "no". My understanding is that Zoladex only temporarily stop your ovaries working. I kept thinking that I still might get a period but its been 9 months now and it hasn't happened. I am still taking Tamoxifen.

Its very confusing when you get conflicting advice as I have found that other users on this forum have been tested to see if they have gone through the menopause. I didn't notice any difference with side effects from stopping zoladex except that my hair seems to be a little thicker now. 

I would be interested in seeing how you get on. Regards Michele x

Alvilajo

Stopping zolodex

Hi I have recently seen my surgeon two year all clear, he said to stay on zolodex another year (3) and last week was my oncology call, he said to stop zolodex and anastrazole for 6 weeks and have blood test, when test done go back on anastrazole and he will tell me if I can stop the zolodex. A few questions I didn’t ask are worrying me.

1 what if my periods restart

2 should I listen to surgeon or oncologist 

3 is it safe to stop

4 I thought that zolodex makes your ovaries pack up for good but realised this isn’t the case. Sorry I’m a bit confused 

the reason I’m on this combination is I’m taking sertaline . I’m 51 and had lumpectomy and full node clearance, I had chemo and radio therapy.

thanks Vicky