Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text saying identified as high risk

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Text saying identified as high risk

Hi lizandsarah

Thanks for posting.

As you might imagine, many people are wondering if a diagnosis of breast cancer means they are more at risk of getting the coronavirus (COVID-19).  A number of people have contacted us as they are unsure about the text they have received and whether they are definitely in the high-risk group.

As far as we know the majority of people who have had breast cancer will not be at any higher risk than the rest of the population. This  includes people who have had or are having radiotherapy, hormone therapy and bone strengthening treatment such as zoledronic acid or,  who have had surgery to remove lymph nodes.

Those who may be at higher risk includes anyone with low immunity, such as people having chemotherapy or people who have had chemotherapy in the last three months. 

Some people’s immunity may take a little longer to return to normal.  However, as you are now six months on from finishing chemotherapy, this does not automatically place you in a high-risk group.

As you have recently had surgery and been unwell, as well as being treated for possible infection connected to your lymphoedema it’s really important to make sure you are fully fit to return to work.

It’s difficult for us to advise on individual cases so it would be a good idea to continue to pursue trying to get clarification from your treatment team, GP or occupational health department if possible.

Our webpage has more general Advice on Coronavirus for people with cancer as well as some frequently asked questions from others who have had a diagnosis of breast cancer.

The following advice from the NHS  will of course help protect you and others. If you are concerned, contact your treatment team or the coronavirus service.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Currently our opening hours are Monday to Friday 10am to 3pm, and we are closed on Saturdays.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Catherine

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Text saying identified as high risk

I received a text from coronavirus service last night, to say I have been identified as at risk.

Rads and chemo completed end Sep 19, only on anastrzole and Zoldronic infusions.

Has salpingo-oopherectectomy four weeks ago and chest infection post op

Trying  to speak to oncologist for advice but difficult to get hold of. GP not available. 

Being put in long term low dose antibiotics by lymphoedema team as they suspect an underlying infection.

I work on a ward with elderly patients, due to work in a couple of days.

Am I really high risk /vulnerable, I dont really appear anywhere on the list?