Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vaccine after cancer treatment

4 REPLIES 4
Nurse_BCN

Re: Vaccine after cancer treatment

Hi tammiw

We’ve had quite a few people contact us asking whether they will be able to have the Covid19 vaccine as they’ve had or are having treatment for breast cancer. The majority of these people should be able to have the vaccine. Being on anastrozole and zoledronic acid should not affect you being offered the vaccine.

We are unable to say which vaccine will be most suitable for people who have had or have breast cancer. As the vaccine programme rolls out and further results from the trials become available, it should become clearer how the vaccines may work for people with pre-existing medical conditions including cancer.

You might find this blog from Breast Cancer Haven written by Professor Ian Smith helpful to read. You can also look out for our own blog  in the coming days on  this subject.  Cancer Research UK (CRUK) also have information about the current situation with COVID-19 vaccines and are updating this as new information becomes available.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form. Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Catherine

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Nurse_BCN

Hi tammiw 

Thanks for posting your question.

We hope to be able to respond to you tomorrow.

In the meantime our Helpline is open until 4pm today if you would like to talk things through. 

If you do phone our Helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered. Thank you

With best wishes.

Lisa

Ask Our Nurses Co-ordinator

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

Kitkat23

Just realised this in the ask the nurses questions! Sorry.....ignore! X

Kitkat23

Hi tammi

i finished chemo 6 weeks ago and starting zolendronic infusions...i was advised By Onc team that it’s fine to have Covid vaccine anytime now.....the same advice is on the Royal Osteoporosis Society website.....in fact, they go as far as to say you can have them both on the same day!  If you are worried though just check it out with your GP.

I can’t wait to get mine😁....I’m waiting to see if I can get it through work ( NHS ) or via Gp (I’m on the CEV shielding list) ....Whichever Is quicker I will take! 

take care

tammiw

Vaccine after cancer treatment

I finished chemotherapy Nov 2019, then had bilateral DIEP surgery a year ago this week. 

I am currently on Anastrozole and six monthly zolondronic acid infusion (I am due my third out of six next week).  Firstly I am not sure what to call this as it's not really active treatment, is it?  It is more preventative.

My question is about having the COVID vaccine - I have not read much about any issues with having the vaccine - wondered if there was any chatter on this.