Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waiting results and confused

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Waiting results and confused

Hello YNWALFC

Thanks for posting.

It can be difficult to make sense of a situation, especially when things happen very quickly. So it’s natural that you have a number of questions after your appointment at the breast clinic.

When someone attends the breast clinic, they may have a triple assessment. This is an assessment to make a diagnosis of a benign (not cancer) breast condition or breast cancer. This has three parts: a breast examination, breast imaging (for example, a mammogram or an ultrasound scan) and tissue sampling (for example, a core biopsy or fine needle aspiration). So it’s not unusual this happened

It’s difficult to say why one part of your breast was marked and a biopsy taken from another. Often the needle is inserted at a different point in the breast to make access to the area which needs sampling easier. It doesn’t necessarily mean there are two areas that needed assessing. If there were, its likely both would have been biopsied

At the clinic they want to know someone’s full medical history and whether they are taking any medication. As taking HRT increases the risk of breast cancer,  this is  something all women around the menopausal age are usually asked.

Waiting for tests results can be a very difficult time. Hopefully, this will be kept to a minimum. While you wait it might help to talk all this through with one of us here. We often find we can help people more by speaking to them on the phone. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

The number is 0808 800 6000 (Text relay prefix 18001).

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

There is also a specific section on our Forum for people who are waiting for results.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Cancer Now Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Waiting results and confused

Hi

I had my annual mammogram and had a phone call to say I had to go back for another. No reason given. When I got there they just said it had changed. I had another mammogram followed by ultrasound when biopsy all within 90 minutes. Is this normal or does it mean they already can see its cancer. It was all a shock and I wasnt quite with it so didnt ask many questions as it was all quick with no consultant involved so far. When taking the second mammogram they marked the top left side of my right breast but when they done the biopsy it was on the lower right side of my breast. Does this mean it could be in two areas. Finally they asked if I was taking hrt, I'm 48, why would they ask that. Sorry for so many questions but my head is spinning. Thank you x