Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work with a chemo line

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Work with a chemo line

Hi maxr1974

Thanks for posting.

Some people do have a central line put in for chemotherapy. This is usually preferable to using other sites such as the ankles. These lines can also be used for taking blood.

As Anniej says your treatment team will have come across this before so do ask them if there are any modifications you need to make at work.

It might help to know that central lines have a small cuff which sits under the skin which keeps it in place. It’s likely you will also have a clear dressing over the site to help keep it clean and secure. Your treatment team will let you know how to care for the central line and reduce the risk of any complications with it.

Our information about lymphoedema may be of interest.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  We also have a range of other free services you may be interested in.

We are currently reviewing our Forum service and wonder if you would have five to 10 minutes to complete a short survey. The survey will help us gather information about this service and understand more about any improvements we can make.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Community Champion

Re: Work with a chemo line

Hi, I'm sure your medical team will have come across this situation before so I wouldn't be too concerned. If your hand / arms no good they'll look at ankles , anywhere they can get into. I had a Hickman line into my chest as my treatment was to last over 6 weeks, which I was told is how long a PICC line lasts. It made the process so much quicker and I was very pleased with it. I am extremely careful about carrying stuff, even two years after my treatment, as I know Lymphodema can occur . I think if it was me I would be having a discussion re duties. I'm not sure you should be carrying anything .    Why not check with the nurses on here, or your own team just to make sure?  X 

Spoiler

Highlighted

Work with a chemo line

Hi, I have had a recurrence diagnoses and have a planning appointment for chemo (before surgery). I have lymphoedema in my left arm and surrounding area from my primary diagnoses. I am concerned that as I only have 1 arm available for chemo, bloods etc that there is a possibility I will need a line put in.

I work in the science department of a private school which involves lots of lifting, carrying and dealing with lots of different chemicals.

I know that this is only a possibility and may not happen but would like any advice just in case....

Thanks