Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worried cancer has spread. Petrified of mri

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Worried cancer has spread. Petrified of mri

Hi lisaloo79

Thanks for posting.

It’s understandable to feel anxious, having recently been diagnosed with breast cancer and awaiting further tests.  Everyone copes with a diagnosis of breast cancer in different ways and you’re likely to experience a range of emotions.

As you mention, you have always suffered with your lower back, the symptoms you are currently experiencing may be related to this. Stress and anxiety can make you feel nervous, worried and tense and cause muscle tension, which could also be contributing to your symptoms.

However, it is important that you are getting your symptoms investigated. 

Feeling frightened about your MRI is perfectly normal, but it’s important for you and your team to know the results of these tests, so they can treat you appropriately.  You may want to talk to your treatment team or breast care nurse about how you are feeling. Sometimes exploring a range of feelings such as anxiety that may be related to your cancer diagnosis can make it easier to understand and cope with. Your breast care nurse may be able to tell you about your local breast cancer support group. 

You may prefer to talk to someone on a one-to-one basis, Someone Like Me service has over 200 volunteers who have had a personal experience of breast cancer and are trained to provide support. The volunteers are able to talk to you by email or telephone.

Here at Breast Cancer Care we offer a range of free supportive services that you might be interested in. This includes face to face support at a number of locations throughout the country. For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link.

Alternatively, you can call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Louise

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Re: Worried cancer has spread. Petrified of mri

Hi lisaloo79

Thanks for posting your question.

We hope to be able to respond to you tomorrow.

In the meantime our Helpline is open from 9am tomorrow if you would like to talk things through. 

If you do phone our Helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered. Thank you.

With best wishes

Megan

Ask Our Nurses

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer .

Worried cancer has spread. Petrified of mri

Iv recently been diagnosed with TNBC STAGE 2. Since I found out Iv been struggling to cope with day to day life. 

Iv always suffered with my Lower back but recently Iv got a numbness in my back. All I can think is that the cancers spread and it’s in my spine. I’m absolutely dreading having an mri as I’m petrified as to what it will reveal. 

Could all this just be caused by anxiety? 

Lisa xxx