Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wound healing after radiotherapy

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Wound healing after radiotherapy

Hi Lyndyhop

Thanks for posting.

The effects of radiotherapy often occur after treatment has finished.  This is especially so when you’ve had a boost to the area.

Skin effects can vary from mild soreness to broken, blistering and/or weeping of the skin in the area treated. The skin will heal at a slower rate after receiving radiotherapy compared to untreated skin, so it’s difficult to say for sure when you might expect the area to be fully healed.

It sounds as though it would be a good idea to speak with your breast care nurse or the radiotherapy team for some advice.  They may be able to reassure you about the time it will take for healing to occur and assess the area in case you need a change of prescription for the dressings and gel you are using.

It can be really frustrating to experience these side effects once you’ve finished radiotherapy.  You may find it useful to talk to others about their practical experience of the side effects of radiotherapy.  You can do that by posting here on the discussion forum, where there is a specific area on radiotherapy.

Our Someone Like Me service also offers you the opportunity to speak to one of our 200 volunteers who have had a personal experience of breast cancer and are trained to provide support. Many have had radiotherapy and experienced similar side effects. The volunteers are able to talk to you by email or telephone.

Do call our free, confidential Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open. 

Best wishes

Catherine

Breast Cancer Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer. This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Highlighted

Wound healing after radiotherapy

I finished 15 rounds of radiotherapy plus 5 booster sessions at the end of July. The booster sessions were to the base of where the tumour was found just above my nipple. My nipple became sore 3 weeks ago and the skin became broken 2 weeks ago. I have polymen and a wound healing gel but they don’t seem to be having any impact. How long will healing take