Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yoga post mastectomy

3 REPLIES 3
Nurse_BCN

Re: Yoga post mastectomy

Hi Annie63

Thanks for posting asking about yoga poses you can do after your mastectomy on 15th June in addition to the exercises given to you by the hospital.

As bookish says you should probably avoid doing yoga poses that puts too much weight on your upper body or involves pushing with your affected arm or shoulder after your surgery.  Your breast care nurse or treatment team will be able to advice how long this is likely to be for.

You may be interested in watching our Instagram Live recording on yoga and breast cancer.

The organisation Future Dreams has further information on exercise that you may find helpful to read and also offer in person and online yoga sessions that you can attend.

We also offer a range of free supportive services that you might be interested in.

Do call our Helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would like a nurse to call you do complete this form. Ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday. Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Louise

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

Annie63

Thank you for the advice and link to the site, I’ll look that up. Xx

bookish

Not instantly, but you can build up. You probably want to avoid the cat/camel pose and putting too much weight on your left arm for at least 6 weeks I think is the advice.

There is a great Instagram account called yogaforbreastcancer which recommends better alternatives for anything that'll strain your surgery site.

I will add, though, as great as it is to want to keep fit, do give yourself time. Any surgery is a shock to your body and a few weeks off will probably do you more good than not, from experience! As you say, listen to your body.

Best of luck with the op!

Annie63

Yoga post mastectomy

8EDEC087-2050-4660-9FB3-3117D78C8656.jpeg
My left sided mastectomy is booked for Wednesday 15th June. I am determined to do everything I can to look after myself. Apart from the NHS recommended exercises I would like to continue to with yoga at home. I know I have to listen to my body but do you think it would be ok to build these poses into daily exercise too. Thank you Annie